CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR A JOINT POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP IN LAW 2019. május 13.
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Position: Postdoctoral Fellowship
Salary: 506,350 HUF per month before taxes (plus accommodation)
Hours: Full time
Begins: September 2019
Ends: June 2020
Aim of the call for applications:
The Hungarian Academy of Sciences Centre for Social Sciences Institute for Legal Studies
(hereinafter HAS CSS ILS) and the Pázmány Péter Catholic University Faculty of Law and
Political Sciences (hereinafter Pázmány Law) have established this joint fellowship programme
in order to enhance their international competitiveness in research and education through
involving postdoctoral foreign researchers in their academic work. The programme will be due
for a period of 10 months.
Postdoctoral researchers with a professional level of English language knowledge are invited
to apply for a fellowship programme at the HAS CSS ILS and Pázmány Law. Knowledge of
Hungarian is not required.
The applicant is expected to:
- develop and provide at least four graduate level lectures per week that are each a
minimum of 45 minutes in duration at Pázmány Law;
- actively participate in the most important scholarly events and programmes of the HAS
CSS ILS and the PPCE FLPS;
- to be present in the Institute for Legal Studies, CSS HAS on Tuesdays and Thursdays
from 9 AM to 5 PM; and
- help to strengthen the international relations of the HAS CSS ILS and Pázmány Law.
Research and teaching topics
Any area of law, with a preference for comparative law, public international law or European
In the framework of the fellowship programme, the HAS CSS ILS and Pázmány Law:
- will offer foreign researchers a 'joint position' for 10 months at the two host
- will provide teaching and research facilities;
- will offer 506,350 HUF gross salary per month (approximately 335,000 HUF after
- will provide accommodation;
- will provide an opportunity for renowned researchers to further develop their scholarly
activity and experience at our institutions; and
- will ensure that foreign researchers are fully involved in the scholarly work of the
institutions and are able to participate in scholarly events and programmes.
The selected applicant will be employed from September 2, 2019 to June 30, 2020 in joint
positions at the HAS CSS ILS ("research fellow") and the Pázmány Law ("assistant
Application and selection procedure
The application is processed electronically. To apply, please fill in the application form using
The application shall include amongst others the applicant's:
(1) a short curriculum vitae;
(2) list of publication;
(3) electronic versions of one publication the applicant feels best representative of their
(4) presentation of ongoing research;
(5) a proper syllabus of at least two graduate courses to be offered (use the draft enclosed to
this call for applications); and
(6) a motivation letter. The motivation letter should contain: (a) a short research plan; (b) a
description as to how the applicant will be affiliated with the host institutions.
The application must be submitted in English.
Applications must be sent no later than 12.00 (CET) on May 31, 2019.
Please take extra care of filling in all obligatory fields. Incomplete applications will not be
taken into consideration, nor those not submitted in English. No legal remedy is possible on
substantive grounds regarding the selection process or the results.
Applications will be reviewed by the Director of the HAS CSS ILS and the Vice-Dean of
Pázmány Law based on the estimated value of the applicant's actual research, the significance
of the scientific results expected from the cooperation and the anticipated effect of the
cooperation on the Hungarian academic community. If necessary, Skype interviews can be
Successful applications will be approved by the General Director of the HAS CSS and the Dean
of the PPCE FLPS based on the ranking of the committee.
The results of the selection process will be communicated to the applicants via e-mail no
later than June 15, 2019.
The HAS CSS ILS and the PPCE FLPS will provide the fellowship to the selected researcher
through two parallel contracts.
On the fellowship programme: Fruzsina GÁRDOS-OROSZ senior research fellow at HAS CSS
ILS, e-mail: email@example.com;
János ERDŐDY, vice-dean of Pázmány Law,
On the host institutions: HAS CSS ILS http://jog.tk.mta.hu/en; Pázmány